Seminar on Digital Technology for Agriculture Services and Value Chains
Government of Kingdom of Cambodia (GoKC) with IFAD and European Investment Bank have agreed the outline design of Agriculture Services Programme for Inclusive Rural Economy, Agriculture and Trade (ASPIRE-AT).
will be implemented by Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries with the Objective the Smallholder Farmers benefit from inclusive and sustainable agriculture sector growth based on exports and domestic markets. ASPIRE-AT will support implementation of GoKC’s Agriculture Development Policy 2030.
- Investments in production, post-harvest, logistics and processing in priority value chains by farmers and Agriculture Cooperatives
- Developing the value chain through business partnerships, support to Agri-enterprises and the enabling environment;
- Supporting farmers to combine in business-oriented, high-capacity agriculture cooperatives
Digital technology is already playing an important role in the agriculture sector and will become more important in future. Accordingly, the ADP identifies Strategy #6: “Digitalisation and e-agriculture technology in value chain development.”
IFAD already supports digital technology initiatives through the ongoing ASPIRE Programme and the SAAMBAT project. There is a range of other initiatives to develop software applications for the agriculture sector through partnerships between aid agencies and MAFF departments, and by the private sector.
Support for the enabling environment under ASPIRE-AT will include maximising use of digital technology. Rather than focus on new initiatives to develop software, design of ASPIRE-AT will integrate using and rolling out existing software wherever possible. Some of the possible uses of digital technology within ASPIRE-AT could include:
- Inspection, Certification and Origin Tracing
- Technical advice and access to knowledge
- E-Markets and e-services
- Information services (markets, weather etc);
- Financial services;
- Farm management tools (farmer diary);
- Management software for Agriculture Cooperatives.
Purpose of the Seminar
The purpose of the seminar is (1) for sharing information so that stakeholders, including the ASPIRE-AT design team, can learn about the range of ongoing initiatives in developing digital technology for the agriculture sector in Cambodia; and (2) identify opportunities for ASPIRE-AT to support and to benefit from these initiatives.